Friday, February 17, 2017

Avocado Egg Salad



To be honest, egg salad was never a food I enjoyed much, I think mostly because of it's reputation towards spoilage due to the thick mayonnaise that surrounds it. But somehow my interest was piqued when I came across the idea of replacing the mayo with mashed avocado. I love the combination of egg and avocado- a few slices almost always grace my breakfast bowls. So I gave it a go, and now I am hooked.



The egg salad stores well and is the perfect snack or light meal with a few cucumber slices or on a bed of spinach. Of course, it pairs with toasty bread beautifully as well, if you are more inclined to sandwich structures.

It took me awhile to perfect my hardboiled egg, but I think I have finally figured out the tricks. The first is to use eggs that are not fresh from the coop- ideally a week or two old. The second (and I think most important) is to use an ice bath after the eggs have cooked. I am not one for finicky cooking techniques such as ice baths, but this step is non-negotiable in this recipe. It results in shells that peel off effortlessly and makes the process a breeze.

Avocado Egg Salad
Serves 2-3

Ingredients
3 eggs

1 avocado
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
2 scallions, minced

1 cucumber

Directions

Place eggs in a small saucepan. Cover with cold water, cover and bring water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Once simmering, turn off heat and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes. In the meantime, prepare a bowl of ice cold water. Drain eggs and transfer to ice bath for another 15 minutes before peeling. Chop roughly.

Mash avocado, with mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. Place in a bowl and toss with chopped eggs and minced scallions. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator.

To serve, spread on to sliced cucumber, or if preferred, toasted bread. Sprinkle with an extra garnish of paprika.

Relax. Eat Well.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe of salad. this will be something different for me and my family. Avocado is one of the most healthy fruits throughout the world, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avocados are great in salads, smoothies and even in chocolate cakes but what are ... A large avocado can contain as many as 400 calories. Visit CalcSoft to see calories in an avocado count and nutrient...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job…
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. also, you can check Nintendo Card

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to express my gratitude for taking the time to read this fantastic book!!! I truly appreciate every part of it and have you bookmarked to come back and read more of your blog's content. I'm excited to present a fantastic piece about BSL Shaders Minecraft, which completely transform the look of your Minecraft world. I hope you love this shader set as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was really a great article. Thank you for sharing information, continue doing this enjoyed reading the article above really explanation everything in detail, here guys I'm going to share with you something like that if you wanted to see then click on nds emulator

    ReplyDelete