Thursday, November 10, 2011

Caramelized Brussel Sprouts


I still have a hard time believing my despise for Brussels when I was a kid. What was I thinking? These days, they are like candy, especially after the frost bites and their sugars come out. Scrumptious. I was in heaven the other day when I spied a bag in the Lacroix Farm refrigerator while picking up my eggs. After a delicious dinner, I promptly emailed to request another 5 lbs. set aside for me. This week, my CSK members (hopefully) enjoyed these treats as part of Monday's dinner. 

Of course they are good for you (our childhood taste buds told us that), but even more importantly, they are unbelievably tasty! At the sad time of year when our fresh local produce suddenly seems quite sparse and monotonous, these sprouts are a welcome treat. 

I highly recommend using coconut oil in this recipe, as it definitely contributes to the character of the resulting dish. It is my favorite oil for medium to high heat situations, as it is relatively stable with a higher smoke point than most other virgin unprocessed oils. And the flavor: lip-smacking good.

Caramelized Brussel Sprouts
Serves 6

Ingredients
1 tbs. coconut oil
3 cups brussel sprouts, washed and halved
1 tbs. maple syrup
course salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
In a large skillet, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add brussel sprout halves, cut side down, in a single layer. This may require batches if your pan is not big enough. Turn down the heat slightly, cover and cook undisturbed until the bottoms are golden brown and the sprouts are tender when tested with a fork. Drizzle with syrup, stir and remove from heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately. YUM.

1 comment:

  1. i was recently thinking "wow, i have never tried BSprouts" and just assumed i would hate them because everyone "hates them"...right??.....this may just be my first try with those feared lil guys.

    thanks chef

    ReplyDelete